A subcontractor to the ship building industry was looking for a solution in order to apply two back spot facings without having to reclamp their workpiece. Up to now, this specific machining had to be carried out in a separate operation on another machine.
- Workpiece with two back spot facings: 300 units per year
- Bore diameter: Ø12.8 mm
- Diameter Back spot facing: Ø33.0 mm (results in a bore-counterbore ratio of 2.58)
- Counterbore depth: 22.68 mm
- Unevenness: 17°
- Material: S355J2G3
- Machine: Boring-Milling-Center
- Machining: Horizontal machining
- Coolant: Internal coolant with a pressure of 30 bar
The requirements which included a bore-counterbore ratio of almost 2.6 could not be met with a BSF tool of the standardized range. Further special features are the unevenness of 17° as well as the interrupted cut caused by the intersecting cross bore.
The tool specifically adapted to this applications is:
- Tool: BSF-O-1286
- Blade: Standard blade BSF-M-E-1A-17.5
- Speed: 400 rev/min
during interrupted cut: 0.005 mm/rev
during full cut: 0.01 - 0.02 mm/rev
The customer did not expect that the BSF tool would function in such an extreme application and perform an ever better quality (surface roughness) than before.
The production manager confirmed: "The custom-made tool is despite its higher price a clear benefit for our production. The automated and process capable production and the relief of a further machine gives us more capacity."